Tuesday 22 November 2016

Follow-Up on the Arctic Sea Ice

Here is a short follow-up post to my last one posted on Friday. I came across an interesting video posted by TedX Talks on some of the implications of the reduction of the Arctic sea ice. I found it quite insightful and the speaker, Dr. David Barber of the University of Manitoba in Canada delivered his talk in a way that was easy to comprehend.

Here is the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofaoiHYKtlc

On another note, there is an interactive graph showing sea ice extents throughout the year on the NSIDC website. You are able to obtain information on the sea ice extent on individual days. There are three different lines:
1. The 1981- 2010 average
2. 2012 (when the sea ice extent hit its summertime low)
3. 2016 (when the sea ice extent hit its wintertime low)

Here is the link to the interactive sea ice extent graph:

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

The entire Arctic sea ice scenario is way more complex than was expressed in my previous post, well beyond my comprehension at this point. I hope to have at least provided an overview on what I have taken away from the information I sought. I will perhaps branch off to something different for my next post. I may or may not return to sea ice, depending on what else jumps out at me regarding oceans and climates, which is proving to be a very vast topic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment